A healthy and filling dish for a quick weeknight meal. Pair with a savory lean chicken breast for a heavier delight.
- 1.5C Arborio Rice
- 6C Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1C Chardonay or other citrusy white wine (DO NOT USE COOKING WINE)
- 1 Leek, sliced into half-moons, washed
- 1 Asparagus bunch, about 15 Spears, quartered
- Lemon Zest, to taste
- 2 Chicken breast, butterflied, pounded to an even width (optional)
- In a saute pan, heat a Tbsp of neutral oil or animal fat over a medium high heat.
- When shimmering, add asparagus, tossing often. Salt liberally.
- When seared, place in a bowl in a warm (<200F) oven.
- Meanwhile, in a high walled skillet over medium high heat bring a Tbsp of neutral oil or chicken schmaltz to a shimmer.
- Cook Leeks until translucent, taking care not to caramelize.
- Add rice, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Rice may take a slight golden hue.
- Add wine, stir until the alcohol smell has dissipated.
- (If using chicken, placed the seasoned chicken breast [We recommend Cavender’s Greek All Purpose Seasoning], in the asparagus pan over a medium high heat with a little more animal fat or neutral oil. Cook 4 minutes on one side, 3 on the other. Remove from heat at internal 155F and place in warm oven.)
- Working a cup at a time, add broth to the rice, and stir frequently until fully absorbed.
- Continue to add broth, until rice becomes creamy, and al dente.
- Note: It is important to work a cup at a time, to prevent the rice from becoming porridge like. Consequently, some rice may require more broth.
- Once rice is creamy, stir in sauted asparagus, and top with lemon zest.
- Serve immediately in high sided plates or wide bowls, and top with diced chicken.