This quick low-calorie meal makes use of pantry staples and can be ready with little fuss. A chopped onion, a shredded cabbage, and some tinned tomatoes and you’re ready to eat!
I’ve not included a picture as it is not photogenic by any means. Serve with buttered dinner rolls and finish with a flaky salt or go heavier with the seasonings throughout.
- 1lb (450g) Ground Beef
- 1/2 White Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2t (3g) Paprika
- 1t (7g) Garlic powder
- 1t (7g) Onion powder
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 head Cabbage, shaved
- 28oz (800g) Diced tomato with Italian herbs
- 14oz (400g) Tomato sauce
- 1C short grained rice, Jasmine
- 1.5C (345g) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a brazier, sear ground beef. Season and remove cooked meat from pan.
- Allow remaining drippings to cook until no bubbles appear. This will ensure the drippings have clarified.
- In the same pan, saute the onion until almost translucent. Introduce minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2mins.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Increase heat to a high flame, add cabbage, and about a cup’s worth of water to the pan. Cover and cook 10 mins, stirring as necessary with a wooden spoon to help fond separate from the bottom of the pan.
- Once cooked through, add the tomato products and rice.
- Stir, cooking 2-3 minutes until near boiling.
- Cover with ground beef, parmesan and a tight lid. Move to preheated oven.
- Cook for 1 hour, remove lid, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Scoop and serve