If you long for cool days and
hospital Panera food, this soup is for you. Pair with a crusty bread for a fast soup that feeds 6.
- 2 Lg Carrots, grated
- 1 Lg White Onion, grated
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1/4C AP Flour + 1/4C AP Flour as needed
- 8C Chicken Stock (No/Low Sodium)
- 3 Broccoli heads, cut into florets and stalks shaved and cubed
- 8oz White Sharp Cheddar, grated from a block
- 8oz Yellow Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated from a block
- 2C Whole Milk
Notes: This recipe’s salt content can get out of hand quickly. Season throughout, but consider the saltiness of your cheeses and the sodium content of your broth if not using low/no sodium. No amount of milk is going to unsalt this soup. Additionally, shredded cheese should not be used in this soup. The pre-shredded cheese has a starchy coating which prevents melting and encourages curdling of the soup.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the stick of butter over high heat and add the carrots and onion. Allow to cook undisturbed until carrots and onion begin to caramelize.
- Stirring, add the 1/4C of flour, plus oil or more butter if necessary. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add Chicken Stock one cup at a time, slowly forming a gravy. Insure that the flour and carrots and onions are well combined.
- Add broccoli florets and cubed stems. Cook covered until broccoli softens.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in a handful of cheese at a time, stirring gently to incorporate.
- Add milk slowly, stirring well to incorporate without splitting soup.
- Serve in a bread bowl, or along side crusty breads or fresh croutons.